Initial physiotherapy assessment
In the first week following a stroke while the patient becomes medically stable-
- Physiotherapist will assess the patient for chest / breathing problems and movement/ tonal changes, depending on how medically stable.
- Liaison with SALT positioning during swallowing exercises.
- Start assessing patient problems with movement liaising with other members of MDT.
such as OT – Cognitive status,
Nursing staff – Medical issues.
Family members to establish social situations
- Begin to work on gaining more movement i.e. Facilitating the patient to get out of bed and assess functional movements. Prescribe aids such as walking aids/orthotic splints.
- liase with Medical team regarding pain management
- Inform other member of MDT transfers in lying sitting standing mobility.